Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New toy

I recently got myself a new toy to play with: an Xserve G5. The version I have, according to Mactracker, is the January 2005 model, which contains the following:
  • Single PowerPC 970fx (G5) CPU clocked at 2.0 GHz
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 80GB SATA HDD
  • ATI Radeon video card (specific model unknown)
It's currently running the client (read: consumer) version of Mac OS X 10.4.11, but I'm looking to install either Mac OS X 10.5, either server or client versions, or just grab a Linux distro for PowerPC and install that instead. Either way, this Xserve's going to be put to good use! I'll be setting it up to run as a web server, file server, and perhaps as a Wordpress server as well. I'll also be installing some extra RAM and a couple of larger hard drives to handle the extra load as well. Oh, and as this is a 1U rack-mount server, I should look for a rack as well! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment